11 Sep NGA Bulletin Board September 2012
The September cover story focuses on composition of governing bodies and the new regulations.
The new composition regulations for an LA maintained schools came into force on 1 September. If you wish to reconstitute your governing body, you will need to do so under these regulations. For any school that doesn’t, the 2007 regulations still apply. Academies already have more flexibility on size and composition.
The main changes possible for LA maintained school governing bodies:
- Minimum of seven members of the governing body
- Minimum of two elected parent governors
- Maximum of one local authority governor; governing bodies can now set criteria for LA governors and reject those that do not meet them
- Maximum of one elected staff governor (not including the head) Staff may be appointed as co-opted governors provided staff (including the headteacher) comprise no more than 1/3 of the total governing body.
- Partnership governors – must have skills to contribute to effective governance and success of the school.
- Community governor and sponsor governor category abolished, and co-opted governor category created.
In Education news you will find the following articles:
- Pupil Premium
- Vetting and Barring
- Raising the Participation Age
- The NGA Outstanding Governance Awards
- Training for Chairs of Governors; National College awards licenses
You can also find dates for your diary and current consultations
Download a copy of the Bulletin here: NGA Bulletin Board 09 12