07 Dec New Core Skills module: Plain English
Effective communication with everyone across a school’s community – parents & carers, staff, children, fellow governors, local people and many more – is vital if as governors or trustees we’re going to help everyone understand what our schools are trying to achieve. Modern Governor subscribers now have access to the Plain English module, part of the Core Skills: Communication Skills collection. Based on the principles outlined by the Plain English Campaign, the module offers a number practical and accessible exercises to help governors and trustees communicate more effectively. It complements other modules such as Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation and Effective Writing and like all Core Skills modules aims to support governors in all areas of their lives, not just governance.
Plain English – module structure
This module is broken down into five sections:
- What is plain English? – an introduction to the topic
- Real examples – a few real life examples to show the importance of clear communication
- Have a go yourself – a series of exercises to put your jargon-busting skills to the test
- How do we improve? – some hints and tips to encourage clarity, including planning in advance and avoiding complex language
- What next? – where your quest for plain English might lead you next, plus a summary of the module
Screens from the Plain English module
As with all Modern Governor modules the Plain English module is responsive – which means it works beautifully on smartphones or tablets. Click or tap on the images below to view how it looks on a desktop or laptop computer:
Accessing the Plain English module
If your school or academy is a subscriber to Modern Governor then the Plain English module is instantly available to you – simply log in as normal and either browse to the Communication Skills category or search for the module by name once you’ve logged in to the Modern Governor site. If you’re not yet a subscriber then you can subscribe today – simply get in touch to find out more – or you can access five of the mobile-friendly modules in a few minutes by signing-up for a free thirty day trial.