06 Oct Governor Live: Considerations for Conversion
The series of Governor Live online seminars continues with an introduction to a forthcoming series of seminars entitled Considerations for Conversion. The introductory session – which like all Governor Live online events is free to register and attend – will be held at 8pm until 9pm on the 20th of October 2016 and will give an overview of the main issues in 3 areas which all governors in maintained schools should be considering before they start down the road to becoming an academy. Our panel of experts will explain the options, opportunities and challenges which may arise – and as a participant you are welcome to bring questions and comments so that the session is as interactive as possible.
The philosophical & practical considerations
- how improving education outcomes for children should underpin the decision to convert;
- how to make the most of your academy freedoms – curriculum and innovation around school day/term;
- taking sole accountability for your decisions;
- creating the right support network.
The legal considerations
- Property considerations, including: land ownership & documentation;
- Governance and Regulatory issues, including how existing & new contracts will operate and the duties of Directors;
- HR/staff implications , including TUPE, pensions & pay.
The financial considerations
- How will the academy be funded?
- What is an Accounting Officer and how do Governors assess risk?
- What changes will there be to existing budgeting and monitoring?
Following on from this session, the series will continue with a more detailed analysis of the core preferred routes when we discuss the key considerations on each journey to ensure that all structures, processes, networks and teams provide the best practice framework and education for your pupils. These further sessions in the Considerations for Conversion series will take place during the autumn term on Thursdays in November and December:
- Thursday 17th Nov at 8pm
- Thursday 1st Dec at 8pm
- Thursday 8th Dec at 8pm
How to take part
To register for this event simply visit the registration page. Registration is free and enables you to access the subsequent Considerations for Conversion sessions, along with any future Governor Live online events. Each session will be recorded – and even if you can’t attend on the night, registering will give you access to the recordings as soon as they are released.