24 Apr Statutory policies for schools update
The Department of Education have released a revised version of the statutory policies for schools. The document makes clear how often each policy must be reviewed and also shows the level of approval required, where this is prescribed in regulations.
This is taken from the DfE website:
As part of our on-going commitment to clarifying schools’ legal obligations, the Statutory Policies for Schools document outlines the policies and other documents governing bodies and proprietors of independent schools are legally required to hold.
Governing bodies and proprietors are required to hold each of these policies and other documents, as outlined, however:
- the drafting of school policies can be delegated to any member of school staff
- there is no requirement for all policies to be reviewed annually
- not all policies need to be signed off by the full governing body
The document makes clear how often each policy must be reviewed and also shows the level of approval required, where this is prescribed in regulations.
There are instances where statutory guidance states that policies and procedures should be in place. Although this is not the same as a legal requirement, the list makes clear the policies referenced in statutory guidance.
Academies and free schools have greater freedoms than maintained schools in relation to school policies and other documents. Where relevant, arrangements applying to these schools are noted against each entry.
This document was last updated in April 2013. We will continue to review these requirements and look to simplify the legal obligations on schools wherever possible.
Document amendments April 2013
Updated links have been provided for the following:
- charging and remissions
- teacher appraisal
- data protection
- freedom of information publication scheme
- instrument of government
Clarification in relation to academies and free schools:
- Written statement of behaviour principles – for academies and free schools, the proprietor is required to ensure that there is a written policy to promote good behaviour amongst pupils and that the sanctions to be adopted in the event of pupil misbehaviour are drawn up and effectively implemented.
The following document has been removed:
- Governor’s annual report to parents (maintained nursery schools) – It has come to light that the removal of the requirement for maintained schools to prepare a Governors’ Annual Report to Parents in The Education Act 2005, and Commencement Order No 1 to that Act, has resulted in an anomaly in the legislation. We can confirm that governing bodies of maintained nursery schools are no longer required to prepare a report.
The following document has been added:
- register of pupils’ admission to schools
The document can be downloaded from this page.